I had no intention of writing about this recipe. That’s why there aren’t many pictures. It was sort of an experiment. I was going through my Pinterest boards looking for something new to try in the Instant Pot. The Instant Pot has got to be the hottest kitchen gadget right now. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Basically it’s an electric pressure cooker with a slow cooker function. It’s designed for one pot cooking. have had mine for about a year and a half and was one of the early adapters. I admit while it’s a pretty awesome appliance, I don’t use it a lot. I love to make chicken stock in it,made perfect hard boiled eggs, steel cut oats are amazing and I’ve made a few dinners in it that are pretty good. Honestly, the summer is not the time where I’m turning to the Instant Pot.
I ran across a recipe for molten chocolate lava cakes that I pinned a few months back. Most of the recipes I found for instant pot lava cakes were pretty similar in ingredients and technique, but this one by Paint the Kitchen Red, was the one I went with. This version has more egg in it than other recipes. I did delete the coffee in my recipe. Coffee generally enhances the flavor of chocolate, but my kids can totally tell it’s in there and won’t eat it. That means I’ll be stuck with 2 extra lava cakes and I certainly don’t need that. I looked in my pantry and fridge and had all the ingredients to experiment and gave it a go.
Good God, these were amazing. You whip up the ingredients in one bowl and divide among 6 ounce ramekins. You can prep the batter ahead of time and store your ramekins in the fridge until you decide to cook them off. If you do this, you want to let it get to room temperature a bit, or the cakes may be more molten than they should be. You can make all 4 at once by adding 3 to the pot (on a wire rack or steamer rack) and balance the one on top of the other ones. You definitely want to eat these warm with some ice cream (which we didn’t have), but a dusting of confectioners sugar made them pretty!
Chocolate Lava Cakes by Paint the Kitchen Red
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces (1 stick)
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate chopped (I used chocolate chips)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Grease the bottom and sides of four 6 oz ramekins. I just used some cooking spray. Coat each with sugar.
- Melt chocolate and butter: In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter and chocolate for about 1 minute on medium power. Stir and repeat heating at 15-second intervals, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Stir in confectioner’s sugar.
- Whisk in eggs, yolks, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Divide batter among the ramekins. You can cook immediately or store in the fridge until ready to make.
- Pour 2 cups water into the Instant Pot’s main compartment (inner pot) and place trivet in water.
- Place 3 ramekins on the trivet and place 1 more on top of them, in the middle (staggered). Close the Instant Pot. Make sure the steam release handle is in the ‘Sealing’ position.
- Cook on ‘Manual’ (high pressure) for 9 minutes.
- Do a Quick Release of steam and open the Instant Pot.
- Use the trivet to remove the ramekins. Gently dab off any condensation from the surface of the cake.
- Dust the Insant Pot chocolate lava cakes with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm with ice cream!